Engineer Ricardo Esquível Teixeira Duarte starts his activity
Ricardo Esquível Teixeira Duarte (1886-1959) began his activity as a sole proprietorship in 1921, dedicating himself to water collection works and small civil construction works. In that same year, he constituted, with three other partners, the "Sociedade Portuguesa de Engenharia Lda.", in which he performed the functions of Director of the Hydrology Section.
A student of the Polytechnic School from July 1909 to October 1911, he transferred on that same date to the Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), created that year, wherewith nº189 he finished the course of civil engineering on August 7, 1915.
The office at Rua da Palma nº 161, 1º Esq., in Lisbon, was the place where the Engineer Ricardo Esquível Teixeira Duarte carried out his professional activity from 1921, being also the address of "Sociedade Portuguesa de Engenharia Lda.".
The first great work
In 1928, he competed, on an individual basis, for the construction contract of the Port of Vila Real de Santo António, which was awarded to him, thus becoming the first Portuguese contractor for maritime works.
At this time, the Company's activity was practically reduced to second contract work at the port of Vila Real de Santo António, with only a few small soundings, the construction of a reinforced concrete reservoir and the foundations of a small bridge until the end of 1933, when this great work was concluded.
Specialization in geotechnics and foundations
From then on he returned to his initial plan, based on specialization in hydrogeology and geotechnics, including geological surveys, water studies and extraction, foundations and hydraulic and underground works through the incorporation, in 1934, of "Empresa de Sondagens e Fundações Teixeira Duarte, Lda.", with headquarters at Rua Augusta 280, 4º, in Lisbon, an office that had been selected by Engineer Ricardo Esquível Teixeira Duarte for his professional activities in 1929.
Innovation was a constant feature of Teixeira Duarte's activity over time. Examples of this are the introduction of technology for molding piles in the ground, instead of piles hewn from wood, in competition with the Belgian company Franki.
This technology was used in the foundations of the New Central Structure of the Palace of Congress (now the Assembly of the Republic) in 1934, in the foundations of Igreja Nova on Av. da Berna (Church of Fatima) and in the foundations of the mint building in Lisbon, featured on Invention Patent no. 19,640: "Probe-drilling machine for embedding pipes in compressible terrain, with simultaneous surveying", granted to Engineer Ricardo Esquível Teixeira Duarte in 1938.
A new paradigm
A new paradigm in Teixeira Duarte's operations was set in motion when "Empresa de Sondagens e Fundações, Lda." changed its name to "Empresa de Sondagens e Fundações Teixeira Duarte, Lda.". The company moved away from activities centered around Engineer Ricardo Esquível Teixeira Duarte to focus on a company in a broader sense.
During the following year, Teixeira Duarte moved its headquarters to Rua da Betesga, 57, 3º andar, Lisbon. Later, following a name change in 1950, this address became Praça da Figueira, 18. 3.
Also in 1944 the Teixeira Duarte trademark (a stake with five corners) was registered and published in the Industrial Property Bulletin, later giving rise to the current insignia which was registered with INPI in 1988 (request submitted in 1975).
First steps outside mainland Portugal
In 1951, under the scope of a contract entered into with the Angolan Copper Company, for carrying out a geotechnical survey campaign of the Mavoio copper deposit, Teixeira Duarte executed over 3000 meters of rotary-drilled boreholes with depths of up to 300 meters.
Business activities in Angola were then interrupted in the 60s and 70s before being resumed in 1979 with the construction of foundations for the Microwave Telecommunications System.
In 1955, Teixeira Duarte was responsible for the geotechnical survey works on the beds of the Mandovi, Zuari and Chaporá rivers and the foundations of the Sanquelim and Assolnã-Salcete bridges in Portuguese India.
Diversification of the activity into all construction sectors
Until the end of the 60s, Teixeira Duarte's business exclusively focused on the areas of Geotechnics and Foundation Engineering. However, it expanded into other areas of construction, as stated in its corporate purpose following amendments to its articles of association in 1961: “execution of studies and engineering works, particularly geological surveys, groundwater extraction, consolidation and waterproofing of ground, foundations and constructions of all kinds.”
The real estate sector
The "Guadiana Apartment Hotel", in Monte Gordo, Algarve, was built by Teixeira Duarte for a company that would later become part of the Group, in 1974. This year marked the start of Teixeira Duarte's inroads into the real estate sector.
Entry into Venezuela
Activity in Venezuela started in 1978, with the incorporation of "Tegaven - Teixeira Duarte Y Associados, C.A." and the construction of the "Urbanización Palma Real” real estate development in Valencia.
Technical know-how and value
It was in 1979 that the final aspects of the design for the new Central Hospital in Coimbra were concluded (the hospital is now known as Coimbra University Hospital). This design/construction project, which for Teixeira Duarte was the first at this scale, also involved the supply of hospital and medical-surgical equipment.
The award of the contract in 1975 was followed by several years of studies and designs that led to the signing of the contract on 26 August 1978 and its review during this year, 1979.
Works commenced in 1980 and proved to be not only very important for the image of the company, but also due to the know-how acquired for many more hospitals that were later built, which even today make Teixeira Duarte an undisputed benchmark in the hospital construction sector.
Also in 1979 there were serious landslides on the Portas do Sol slopes in Santarém. Teixeira Duarte was called in to solve a complex problem that affected the Northern Railway Line, located between the Tagus River and the slope, in an increasingly concerning way. Although there have been reports of landslides in that area since 1862, and in 1965 Teixeira Duarte was awarded a contract to lay cladding on the limestone deposit at the top of the slope, it was only after these events in 1979 that Teixeira Duarte designed and executed a method to consolidate the slope, with a multi-year contract full of unique aspects. Technical and creative value, as well as persistence and commitment were essential to the success of this contract..
Entry into Mozambique
Activity commenced in Mozambique in 1982, with the venture for the "Consolidation and Positioning of Tower I of the Bridge over the Zambezi River", in the city of Tete.
Inroads in Macao and activity in the Concessions and Services sector
The company started operating in Macau in 1984, with a contract to build the Macao Security Forces Command building and the incorporation of the company "Teixeira Duarte - Engenharia e Construções (Macau), Lda. the year after. The following year, through a stake in "CPM – Companhia de Parques de Macau, S.A.“, for which Teixeira Duarte built several car parts in Macau, marked the start of the company’s activity in the Concessions and Services sector.
Incorporation of "Teixeira Duarte - Engenharia e Construções, S.A."
In parallel with the changes in the articles of association, profound organizational changes were also consolidated in 1987, reconciling the existence of corporate bodies with the Operation Departments and the Central Management. Transformation of the business into a public limited company, with a major capital increase and a name change to the current “Teixeira Duarte – Engenharia e Construções, S.A.”. The company’s capital was also opened up to employees and a new internal organization was formed through the creation of Operating Centers and the Central Management. “Teixeira Duarte – Engenharia e Construções, S.A.” would be the parent company of the Teixeira Duarte Group until 2009.
Activity was started in the automotive sector in 1991, through a Nissan vehicle representation and distribution contract in Angola, by the company “TDA – Comércio e Indústria, Lda.” With a long history of growth based on relationships of trust and respect for commitments, this sector has today become one of the largest multi-brand distribution and retail groups in Angola. Nowadays, through a network of points of sale and technical assistance, Teixeira Duarte Group companies provide their customers with high quality global commercial and technical services, guaranteed by a large team of specialized professionals.
The hotel business started in 1992, with the operation of the Sinerama Hotel in Sines. This hotel, built by Teixeira Duarte in the mid 80s, was owned by a company in which Teixeira Duarte held a majority share. Today, the Teixeira Duarte Group owns eight hotel units through the TDHotels brand: two in Portugal, three in Angola and three in Mozambique, with a total of 2460 beds and 1230 rooms.
The first headquarters built by the company
After 27 years at no. 42 of Av. da República in Lisbon, Teixeira Duarte relocated its headquarters to the "Open Building" located at Av. das Forças Armadas, n.º 125, 4º A, also in Lisbon. The company constructed this building and it served as its headquarters until 2002.
Activity in the environment area
Activities started in the environment area in 1995 with the acquisition of a majority share in the company then known as “RECOLTE – Recolha, Tratamento e Eliminação de Resíduos, S.A.”. Teixeira Duarte Group would operate in this sector until 2019.
Distribution and Energy Sectors
Teixeira Duarte commenced its activities in the distribution sector in 1996 in Angola, in a natural way. In other words, these activities were based on its prior experience of the need to create supply chains for its teams, which operated there in large numbers throughout the territory. Since then, the Organization has grown and diversified its operations in Angola, where the company CND owns one of the best known food retail networks - "MAXI" -, the "Dakaza" brand of home products and furniture, the "Farmácia Popular", a retail brand in the health and well-being sector, and “Pastelarias Nilo” in the restaurant sector. Teixeira Duarte gained a position in the energy sector in 1996 through the acquisition of a majority stake in "PETRAS, S.A.” and the respective operation of its fuel stations. It subsequently expanded the scope of its operations in the sector into the areas of lubricants, gas and solar energy, specifically through the Avia and Digal brands. Teixeira Duarte ceased its activity in this sector by assigning its position in 2017.
Stock exchange listing of “Teixeira Duarte – Engenharia e Construções, S.A.”
Opening of the share capital to public investment, with the listing of its shares for trading on the former “Lisbon Stock Exchange”, now Euronext Lisbon.
Management and maintenance of facilities and developments
Commencement of activity in the Facilities and Enterprises Management and Maintenance area through ”TDGI – Tecnologia de Gestão de Imóveis, S.A.”. “TDGI – Tecnologia de Gestão de Imóveis, S.A.” was created in 2000 as a natural consequence of the work done in these areas and growing demand among customers who wanted to extend their relationship of trust in the group through management and maintenance contracts for their assets. Today, TDGI has a presence in 9 countries (Portugal, Angola, Mozambique, Spain, Brazil, Belgium, Luxembourg, Algeria and Qatar) assuming the role of a trusted partner of its customers for asset management, maintenance and upkeep, with the clear objective of "Integral Customer Satisfaction”.
Entry into Spain
Teixeira Duarte began its activities in Spain in 2001, by carrying out cast concrete wall work as part of the scope of the Metrosur - Madrid Metro project. In 2003, it acquired a majority stake in the company then known as “GSC - Compañia General de Servicios y Construcción, S.A.”. It would later diversify its activities in this country into other sectors of activity, specifically Concessions and Services (Facilities Management and the Environment)
On April 1, 2002, Teixeira Duarte moved in to its new headquarters building, in Lagoas Park, Porto Salvo - Oeiras. This business park, built and managed by Teixeira Duarte until 2018, became a benchmark and a success story in the context of business parks in Portugal.
The company's activities began in Algeria with an infrastructure venture contract forming part of the project to provide a "Drinking Water Supply to the Cities of Mostaganem, Arzew and Oran" (MAO). From then on, taking advantage of the strategic nature of the country, Teixeira Duarte proceeded to mobilize personnel, equipment and capital that allowed the creation of local structures, thereby enabling it and its subsidiaries to contribute to the remarkable development of that country, in competition with companies from all continents. Teixeira Duarte operates in Algeria in the construction sector, with a major focus on public works and infrastructure.
Activity in Brazil began in 2006 with the incorporation of the company "TDPG - Empreendimentos Imobiliários e Hoteleiros, Ltda." for the development of a tourism and hotel project in Porto de Galinhas, State of Pernambuco. Teixeira Duarte's activity has become consolidated in this country over the last 15 years, both in the real estate sector with the development of several residential projects in São Paulo, and in the construction sector, specifically through the acquisition of the company EMPA, S.A. – Serviços de Engenharia, a company founded in 1954 with head offices in Belo Horizonte. This company’s capacity, size and conditions for exploring new businesses strengthened Teixeira Duarte's growth in this market.
Activity in the Education Sector
The company launched its activities in the education sector in 2007 with the incorporation of “EDUCARE - Actividades Educativas e Culturais, Lda.” and the later opening of the S. Francisco de Assis School, South Luanda, in Talatona. The S. Francisco de Assis School (CSFA) in South Luanda is a private institution offering the full Portuguese curriculum, including pre-school, primary and secondary education.
Teixeira Duarte, S.A., the parent company of the Teixeira Duarte Group
“Teixeira Duarte, S.A.", incorporated in 2009, acquired all of the share capital of "Teixeira Duarte - Engenharia e Construções, S.A.” in 2010 under the scope of a Public Exchange Offer, and became the listed company at the head of the Teixeira Duarte Group, which today consists of over 175 entities that lie within its consolidation perimeter.
Central facilities in Montijo
The new “Teixeira Duarte Operations Center” was opened on 1 April 2011. This new infrastructure meets environmental requirements and allows the company to optimize its resources and increase its production capacity. These new central facilities replaced the space previous occupied in Vale Figueira (since 1982). It should be remembered that Teixeira Duarte’s first central facilities were located at Quinta das Freiras, in Rego, Lisbon (since 1940), which were replaced by land in Santa Iria de Azóia from 1967 until the move to Vale Figueira. In order to meet the challenges of international markets, central facilities have also been established in other countries, such as Angola (in Viana), Mozambique (in Zimpeto) and Brazil (in Cumbica).
Proximity to other markets where Teixeira Duarte is already present, mainly in the Construction sector, has allowed Group companies to take advantage of opportunities in new geographical regions. Highlights are Colombia, Ecuador and the United States in the Americas, Cape Verde and Gabon in Africa, the United Kingdom in Europe and Kuwait in the Middle East.